2012년 2월 15일 수요일

GDC Disbands

The next day I find myself walking through life with a mild haze as we finish off the temple tour and look at Ta Prohm which is a temple so intertwined with nature that pictures cannot do it justice. To see the petrified trees acting as an extension of the temples is to not do it any justice. When you look at the scope of the temple itself and the history they have both come from, it's just unbelievable. A great way to finish off our temple days.


I wish that continued. As we wait for our midnight bus to arrive, I want nothing more than to sleep off life for a few hours so I look forward to getting on a bus and catching some sleep until the morning. We were also told it would be a straight 11 hour bus ride down to Sihanoukville. Well...


I find some little comfort on the bus, but sitting at the front, everytime i got comfortable I felt someone pushing my foot. Yep. Someone was sitting on the bus steps, I guess thinking that my flip flop would fall (I'm assuming) and they kept pushing my feet. Little creepy, not going to lie, so sleep did not come. Then 6:30am rolls around and we're back in Phnom Penh where they're telling us to get off the bus. So we're off and find out we have to switch buses, but it doesn't come for two hours. So we wait, and we end up getting split up with the minibuses that take us to the actual terminal. After a sketchy ten minutes leading to us leaving, we're on an oversold bus, I'm sitting beside all of the luggage, there's an odd smell coming from everywhere, and no one is comfortable. Maybe some sleep? Nah, that would make things a little too nice. I don't really know if it's possible to ever sleep on these busses. Honestly. When they're not simply dodging cows, children, cars, bikes, cyclists, they are constantly honking. Most of the time the driver is honking at nothing. And it's an unbelievably sharp honk. I think one thing I miss about Canada is its lack of honking. I miss silent drives. It definitely didn't help that I was sandwiched between the luggage and an incredibly twitchy older guy who tried to look out over the seats everytime the driver honked his horn. The count must have been upwards of 150-200 lean overs, and it started making me anxious so sleep never came. Surprise.

But all that being said, after about 14 hours of discomfort, we arrive in Sihanoukville. The beach resort that actually did remind me of home. Picture the main end with not even close to as many people, bars that you actually want to be in, and food and drink prices that won't stick it to you when you're feeling a little peckish. Not to mention all the massages and fresh fruit you could ever want. You could really get used to that kind of place.

So plan for the week: relaxing by the beach and soaking up the sun. What I loved though about the are is the cool breeze that came off the gulf so at night, it was cool rather than hot as hell so being out and about was brilliant. Excited for a week of relaxing!

That is until the second day when surprise! I got violently ill. Started at about 4am. Good way to bring in the day on the beach. But because I'm stubborn and have a fear of missing out, there's no time for bedrest. So we check out another beach. Well, I check out the sand between my feet as my head rests between my knees, but it was a nice place. Not going to sugarcoat, not the greatest day. Should have packed some Gravol or something (travel advice) to soothe the stomach. But I guess I'll stick to the water that won't stay down.

Anyways. Luckily it was only a 24-hour thing and it passed by the next morning. So we're all feeling good. Until about 3:30 when Graham gets sick. Then about 5:00 when Mike gets ill. Apparently I started a domino effect because the next morning Ellen is ill. So it was definitely something we caught, not sure from where, but clearly something got in. So the week was a scattered mess of illness, but a blast nonetheless. We all took it like champs.

To finish off the week we decide to grab a boat tour that takes us snorkeling and to a beach where you can do a river walk and quick hike through the jungle. Ahh, great way to finish off vacation, could not have asked for better.

So it was sad to say goodbye to it all, really did fall in love with Cambodia while we were there. And I really think we lucked out. Illnesses aside (which really could have been worse) everything seemed to work in our favour and everything seemed to fall in place.

Oh Cambodia...until next time.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기