2012년 10월 8일 월요일

Just a Few Updates

I guess I never kept my promise about part 2 of vacay. Oh well. I went to Busan. Nothing big to report, wasn't as impressed by the city as most people are. I'll return, but it won't be anything too rushed.

So a lot has happened in the last 2 months. I'll try and catch the highlights. One of the big ones: Golgulsa Sunmudo Temple. Here, Christina, Shu, Alex and I took part in a Buddhist Temple Stay where we learned about Buddhist meditative martial arts. Amazing experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat. But it kills you. It took me a while to recover. I have never sweat that much in my entire life. For a meditation it sure takes it out of you.

Luckily, and I never thought I'd hear myself saying this but, a typhoon rolled through Korea and finally got to rest on the Tuesday. Monday at school was death after the Buddhist retreat. Most of the staff thought I had gone on a weekend long binge. Who would have thought that a cleansing of the soul would make me look and feel like I'd been hit by a semi 4 or 5 times in a row? So heads up if you decide to take part in one of those retreats. But the typhoon day was exactly what I needed. As the wind and rain howled and rattled my windows to near breaking point, I sat warm and dry inside with a nice Americano and studied from a Korean textbook I had been given over the weekend. So starts the learning process.

Since then, I have nearly completed studying from the textbook. I need to move on to part two, I don't know what part two will be though. I've started taking a class, but I'm too advanced so hopefully the one on one with tutors will be more beneficial. I never bothered to study in University, but who would have thought I'd rediscover the drive after being out for over a year? Maybe I miss being a student.

What else has there been? A bunch of Korean drama, but I don't want to waste your time. I've been seeing more of the country, as per usual. Seoul visits are still regular although all of the Incheon crew are gone. Sad. It was a bit depressing to see them go.

Finally made it out to Jeju Island. Beautiful island. I'll post the pictures at some point. Glad we made it out, but it was just for a short time. I need to go back. There's too much to do and we only had a short time to actually be there. Caught my first tornado sighting though. I was pretty blown away, not going to lie. It was over the ocean in the clouds. It never touched down but I was blown away. We had taken ATVs out to discover an island offshoot and as we were driving we caught that little gem rolling and picking up cloud.

Classes are going. This semester a lot has been taken out of me. I'm not sure why, but my energy level has become almost nonexistent which kills me. Maybe it's my restlessness, maybe it's because most of the people that I know will be leaving soon, maybe it's homesickness, maybe it's because by this point I had expected myself to accomplish more than I have, maybe it's the students, maybe it's fact that I know I still have a year and a bit left at the same school. I'm thinking it's all of the above with a few more things added into the mix. It's still an experience and a half being here, and I find myself going through periods of readjustment. At first it was the adventure/tourist phase, then the settling and culture shock, then came the summertime high, but now it's the fall...I guess I won't have a name for it until the winter perhaps.

I know there is more, but I can't think of a way to put it in this post without it feeling bloated so I'll leave those. Pictures from the adventures are posted (I think...).

Ticket is booked for going home though. So I guess I'll be seeing you soon-ish Canada.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기